Thursday, May 21, 2009

Summer Sun

Remember the song in "Grease" about summer sun, summer lover etc. As a kid that wasn't me, not that I wouldn't have killed to be Tammy, Gidget or any of the Bikini Beach girls. Nope, not me.

I was the one that walked up to the bookmobile or took the bus to the library to check out as many books as I could get away with. I'd bring them home, take them outside with Koolaid, a sandwitch, and a blanket and spend the day reading while my friends went to the pool with their bikinis. I was busy reading Oz books, Anne of Green Gables, Frank Yerby, Angelique and Peyton Place, Gone With the Wind twice. I lived in my head and in the worlds writers created for me.

The scent of honeysuckle in the heat will forever mean summer and books, strange new worlds of Asimov, Bradbury and Heinlein. All the Nancy Drew mysteries, Agatha Christie and Daphne DuMaurier. Not that I didn't have my moments of slathering my body with baby oil and iodine, burning in the sun and listening to the Everly Bros. on the radio, but even then I'd be reading.

My world was books, still is...without the unlimited time to read without interruption and lack of responsibilities. What worlds did you travel to in the summer as a kid?

No comments: