Monday, August 30, 2010

Oil It


I went to a class about infusing oils this week and was amazed at how easy it was. At least this class was.

All you need is oil (olive, canola) and any fresh herbs or spices you like. You can follow the same steps to infuse flavors into vinegar.(Use a plain vinegar.)

Take a clear bottle, put fresh herbs and spices, in a combination you would like for cooking, in the bottle.

For one bottle I used a combination of dried tomatoes, garlic, oregano and bay leaf. Filled it up with oil, a funnel is helpful if you have one, and put in the stopper.

Set the bottle on a window sill that gets sun. A west window is good. Turn the bottle over to mix the ingredients every day. In two weeks, strain the oil and store the oil in the refrigerator. I want to make a garlic, dill vinegar next I think.

I also am infusing an oil with cinnamon sticks and cloves and orange peel to use on candles to scent them. I'll let you know how that works.

For those of the magical persuasion, consider infusing an oil with salt and fresh sage to use for protection and purification.

No comments: