Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Mountain Men in the Wild

I just read a book that impacted me in more than one way. Keep in mind that I'm a fiction addict and rarely read non-fiction not related to my day job (i.e. Medical.)

However, once I began Wild-Lost and Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, I couldn't stop reading. I felt everything she felt, met and liked other hikers, was ready to knock-out a couple of hunters. I will never look at hiking, back-packing and food in the same way.

At the same time I admired the writing and was wrapped up in making it to the end of the trail, engrossed in nature along the way, I marveled at the structure as Cheryl wove in all the things that brought her to the trail. If you ever want to write a memoir, read this one as she takes one pivotal event in her life and links everything to it.

I not only learned about nature and the PCT as well as dealing with loss, anger and grief, but learned more about writing a riveting memoir than I ever have. 

If you haven't read this, go to  http://www.amazon.com/Found-Pacific-Crest-Trail-ebook/dp/B005IQZB14/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1340832886&sr=1-1&keywords=wild  Beleive me, you'll be glad you did.

No comments: