Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ballet

I went to see Ballet Oklahoma last night, actually their new name is "Oklahoma City Ballet." It was a gala, with free champagne, all kinds of souvenirs for sale, the philharmonic playing live and guest performers from all over the country. My understanding is that this is the first time in a couple of decades that guests have danced with the company. Bravo to the new guy. They even did some of the classics like parts of Swan Lake, with Blanchine choreography, another one with Petipa choreography, Le Corsair, Sleeping Beauty, Fire Bird, just glorious. Plus new numbers done with grace and humor by the new director, who is quite young to my old eyes, cute young man.

I found it interesting watching his choreography in several of the new numbers, and picking up on some signature moves of his. It's the same way you can spot Fosse moves or Tharp. My only question would be: should I be able to spot signature moves that quickly? Then again, in writing, good writers have a voice and you can recognize their style as soon as you read it. King has it, Koontz, Charlaine Harris in the Sookie Stackhouse books. If the style and voice speak to you, you read more.

Even though, classical ballet speaks louder to me than modern, I will be interested in seeing this young man's work develop. Also, a little girl a taught in Sunday school, is an apprentice for the company and had a solo. Okay, now I'm old.

No comments:

Blog Archive