Thursday, January 8, 2009

Roller Coaster Ride

Writing is a roller coaster. Frequently I have so many ups and downs with-in a short period of time. I can be elated by a great review, unhappy because my book wasn't nominated for an award by the publishing company, excited since it's launch day and my new story is out, pissed off because I'm doing more promo than ever but don't seem to see it in sales. How can you be on a best seller list for a month but your royalty report says you only sold one copy? Don't get it. Missing something.

Enough whining about the business. Enough negativity.It's the writing that's fun and why I need to ignore all the extraneous stuff that sneaks in. Writing is cool, takes me away, makes me relax and forget the other stuff and playing God is too cool. Also, with my kind of stories, reality can be played with, legends become fact, myths manifest themselves in every day life, ordinary people in extraordinary situation. So, much as I fuss, I love the writing part best.

Even when I bitch about having to work full time and write, I realize that unlimited time wouldn't automatically make me more productive. I'm a procrastinator who needs deadlines to finish tasks.

What do you love about writing? What do you hate? How do you balance it all?

No comments:

Blog Archive