Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Recommendation

I know I often recommend different books, like all the urban fantasy books out there, but I have an even better one and I've only listened to part of it.
Warning, it's extremely existential, buhdist, Zen-like.
It's a two CD set called "A conversation on the Writing Life" featuring two giants, Julia Cameron: Author of THE ARTISTS WAY, and Natalie Goldberg, author of WRITING DOWN THE BONES (and numerous other books.)

They discuss:
How can writing best be practiced? What is the difference between therapeutic writing and writing for publication? How to deal with mood and time? Is it good to "dabble in different arts such as music, painting, and writing? How is addiction related to the writer's life?

It was published ten years ago and is as true today. It should be available on Amazon. Whether you write fiction or nonfiction, genre or literary, it's the writing process itself that is so important, more than the product. Whether or not you write 1st drafts long-hand or compose at the computer. I compose at the computer except when I journal or write poetry, then the tactile thing, with my fountain pen is important to me.

Journaling outdoors with the birds, perfect. Keep writing, listen to this, read Natalie Goldberg's WRITING DOWN THE BONES and WILD MIND. Read Julia Cameron's THE ARTIST'S WAY.

No comments:

Blog Archive