Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Changing

A friend of mine has had multiple books published, non fiction. She recently attended a conference where several agents told her to "forget about it," books in her niche that is. According to the experts, her kind of books no longer sell. She has based her career and marketing of herself around a specific market, branding I think the current term is. So, now what? Does she turn herself inside out, find another niche, give up, write the "great American novel?

That's what she wonders. I say, write the book you want to write, as honestly as you can. Make the switch to fiction. Try writing in a different specialty. Switch from books to articles and market yourself more widely to general markets. Diversify. Don't be afraid to take risks. Easy for me to say, I'm not the one making my living at writing and trying to balance so I can make a living and find a new focus. But keep on writing and being positive. I still believe persistance has to work.

No comments:

Blog Archive