Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Freedom


Tomorrow's the 4th of July. Did you know there are people out there who don't know who we got our freedom from, when we got it or who the first president was? They don't know the name of the national anthem. Grown-ups, who are raising children. How sad is that? I'm not someone who wears red, white and blue every day or flies the flag from my are antenna. I don't have bumper stickers that say "Love America or Leave."

But, come on. It's the basics, guys, and it's why we write, because we want to say what we believe, whether others agree or not. No other country has freedom of speech to the extent we do. Our country isn't perfect. My God, we have Bush and Scooter Libby on one side, Paris Hilton on the other. But, if I say that Bush is pushing the envelope by commuting Libby's jail term, I won't be hauled off to jail.

So tomorrow, wave a flag, watch a parade, write something, enjoy freedom of speech and the fact that you won't be placed under house arrest for disagreeing with either Democrats or Republicans.

No comments:

Blog Archive