Monday, April 14, 2008

Celtic

Rinda's post http://relliott4.wordpress.com got me thinking about cultures and how everything Celtic has been a part of my life since I was a kid. I think I lived other lives that took place in Ireland, Scotland, Wales. Celtic music, especially in Gaelic, speaks to me. It has since I was small. I was also brainwashed by movies like "How Green was my Valley," "Darby O'Gill and the Little People," "The Quiet Man.

I've written three different types of books and yet a main character in each has had red hair (shades of Maureen O'Hara.) The idea of fairies, magic, leprechauns, banshees fascinates me. I've always wanted them to be real enough for me to actually meet or see. Not just the legends, but the county itself, the landscape, people make you believe anything is possible there.

That's what I want to have in my books, the feeling that all things are possible, believable and could happen, good or bad. Even when bad things happen, it's not so much what happened as how you dealt with it. My characters won't always have only good things happen, but I hope they handle them with courage and grace.

No comments:

Blog Archive