Friday, August 31, 2007

Time and Again

I've had people ask how you find the time to write. More often, it's I don't have time to write, I don't even have time to read. If I had time, I'd write a book. Guess what? You have time, you just have to make it, which involves sacrifice. There will never be a perfect time to write a book because you live a real life. Real life butts-in.
It really doesn't matter if you do or do not have children, a job, a husband or partner. If you want to write, you do it. You can't wait for the time, quiet, more money, less stress, it never happens. Writing through the chaos is what happens. Write in a notebook at the doctor's office, in line at the supermarket, on that airplane, in the emergency room, at night when everyone else is in bed, in the morning before anyone else is up.
I used to envy those who had no kids, no job, just time to write. Hell, I still do. But if I have unlimited time, I procrastinate. Busy works better for me. Now that I don't have a husband to care for, it's a little easier, but then I have a disabled daughter at home. Right now I have a person come in to clean house every couple of weeks, so that helps.
It boils down to: How badly do you want to be published? If you really want it, you find time, even if it's only one page a day. In a year, you will have a book. Persistence counts.

No comments:

Blog Archive