Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Sunrise-Sunset

On the way to work this morning I saw the most wonderful coral, turquoise and violet sunrise. It makes it all worthwhile. It was almost as striking as the sunset I watched with my grand daughter, Megan, when the sun set the lake close to our house, on fire. That time I left the house, with Megan, in the middle of making dinner, in order to take her to the lake to watch the sun go down. I wouldn't trade those few minutes for anything. Sometimes you just have to seize the moment, and I'm not always good about that. I'm too busy, like everyone else, to always take time to watch the sunrise, butterflies or other wonderful things around me.

As writers, we have to be busy, that's what writing and marketing are all about. But, as writers, we also have an obligation to observe the world around us in order to be better writers, to be able to describe our worlds to those who read our books. We will be bugging each other about new years resolutions soon. One thing to consider as a writer, is the resolve to pay attention to nature, babies, flowers, colors, scents and all the things we use to bring scenes alive.

No comments:

Blog Archive