Saturday, May 26, 2007

Invisible

"And then, not expecting it, you become middle-aged and anonymous. No one notices you. You achieve a wonderul freedom. It is a positive thing. You can move about, unnoticed and invisible."
--Doris Lessing, English Writer--

Well, at my age, I certainly don't turn heads. If someone describes you its "The fat old lady." or worse, "That elderly woman." I hate when newspapers and ads descrube everyone with grey hair as elderly. I'm not elderly. In my head I haven't really changed since I was about 40. But people who don't know me don't get much past the physical thing.

However, its easier to observe. No one thinks its a come-on. You can watch and listen, invaluable for a writer. Like lurking, only in person. Do it with a computer or sketch pad and no one really pays attention to you. You can pick up all kinds of conversation, dialogue tidbits, character description.

Now, enough play. I have to edit Privy, work more on Agatha Ann. Busy, Busy.

No comments:

Blog Archive