Saturday, March 24, 2007

Scenes

I write in scenes. It's especially helpful since I write in short spurts due to time constraints if I'm writing on my lunch hour or something. I've been reading lately and some people seem to plan each scene out in detail, with external goal, internal goal, each thing that will happen in the scene. I don't seem to be able to do that. Now I know the viewpoint character since the book is first person and I know what needs to happen in very general terms, for instance, Tali needs to find out that Keith is Franks illegitimate son. But sometimes, how she gets to that point will evolve as the scene is written. I can do a one sentence scene by scene outline, but that's as far as I can go until I actually begin writing the scene because sometimes the characters decide which direction to go or not to go. I'd lose a lot of good stuff if I got too formal I think.

However, I can see the value, during rewrite, of analyzing scenes to make sure everythings there, in the most effective order with good transitions and details etc. Just how I do it.

No comments:

Blog Archive